Overnight Baked Berry and Pecan French Toast
Happy Friday everyone! I have something pretty exciting going on this month for all of you. Every Friday I am going to be hosting a different blogger who is going to share an amazing recipe of theirs! Why Friday? Because who doesn't love a fun breakfast to make on the weekends?! To start us off I have Francesca from The Hungry Home Maker who is going to share her recipe for Overnight Baked Berry and Pecan French Toast! Francesca is a mom to her two adorable kiddos 17 month old Amelia and 4 1/2 year old Frankie. She blogs about food, crafts and her life as a mom. But I know you want me to stop talking so here she is!
I first made this recipe for my husband and son on Valentine's Day a few years back.
As weird as it sounds I can't make a successful breakfast food. Ok, I can, but I hate it. My pancakes are always runny in the middle and my fried eggs always break!
This recipe was perfect, pre bedtime prep (so I could still get away with sleeping in!) and so close to a baking recipe I was perfectly in my comfort zone!
- 6 thick slices of bread of your choice
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp each of ground nutmeg and cinnamon
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 of butter (melted)
- 4 cups of mixed berries ( if frozen thaw and drain before use.)
1. Butter a 13x 9 inch glass baking dish. Arrange the bread in a single layer in the dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, the 1/2 cup of sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon until blended; whisk in milk and vanilla.
Pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, pecans, and melted butter. Spread berries evenly over bread mixture then sprinkle with pecan mixture.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread is puffed in the centre and the fruit is bubbling.
You can follow Fran on Instagram to see more delicious recipes and much more!